Horace Mann Information Sessions – February 14, 2023 from 8-8:45 am and from 7-7:45pm on Zoom
AT A GLANCE
Programs & Initiatives
- School House System (Nukomori, Isibindi, Reveur & Amistad) — all students area part of a unique House that meets monthly to engage in fun activities and competitions.
- Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) approach
- All students receive enrichment & intervention supports
- On-site tutoring
- Active Parent-Teacher Committee
- Weekly Family Newsletters
- Family movie nights, Family Valentine’s Dance
- Art, music, and PE
- Instrumental music & chorus (4-5)
- Library and digital learning platforms
- Small group instruction
- Use of restorative practices such as circles, collaborative problem solving, and meaningful, natural consequences
- Inclusion model: Students with disabilities and those still learning English participate in mainstream classrooms with in-class supports
- After-school programs include: Newspaper, Student Voice, and mural making
- Hablamos Español/falamos Portuguese
LIFE AT HORACE MANN
Founded in 1896, the Horace Mann Laboratory School, since its inception, was conceived as a collaboration and experimentation school where Salem State University faculty and HMLS staff design and integrate learning opportunities based on best practices.
- Students develop balanced literacy skills, mathematical fluency and conceptual understanding through small group instruction.
- Lessons are driven by student data and differentiated according to the students’ needs and readiness.
- Science and Social Studies lessons are inquiry-based and enriched by hands-on learning.
- These experiences are supported by various field trips through partnerships with the New England Aquarium, Salem Sound Coastwatch, and the Peabody Essex Museum.
Social and Emotional Development
- We nurture curiosity, academic skills, and social and emotional development.
- Our Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) approach focuses on inclusivity and fosters a sense of safety and belonging.
- Students are greeted by name throughout the school day and engaged in experiences designed to foster cooperation, problem-solving, responsibility, empathy, and self control.
- We strive to provide wraparound support to every student.
The Salem State University Partnership
- We benefit from a unique and long-standing relationship with Salem State University (SSU).
- HMLS staff collaborate with SSU students and faculty regularly to design innovative and enriching learning experiences.
- HMLS has access to SSU facilities and commitment from Student Fellows who teach and collaborate with HMLS teachers all year.
- We are an inclusive and caring community that is committed to dismantling racial and gender inequalities, where every student, family, and member of our team are respected and appreciated for who they are.
- Our school is committed to a vision of support and empowerment for every family that walks through our doors, we hold compassion and respect at the core of all our values and welcome every student regardless of their background.