AT A GLANCE
Programs & Initiatives
- Responsive Classroom approach
- Active Parent/Teacher Committee
- Art, music and physical education
- Instrumental music & chorus (Gr. 3-5)
- Library and computer lab
- Fully connected learning technology
- Inclusion model: Students with disabilities and those still learning English participate in mainstream classrooms with in-class supports
- After-school programs include: HMLS Learning Lab, FASST Program, and Destination Imagination
- Hablamos Español/falamos Português
- Weekly whole school assemblies to build community and self-regulation
LIFE AT HORACE MANN
Founded in 1896, the Horace Mann Laboratory School, since its inception, was conceived as a collaboration and experimentation school where Salem State University faculty and HMLS staff design and integrate learning opportunities based on best practices.
Students develop balanced literacy skills through a “workshop” model and build mathematical fluency and conceptual understanding through a strong K-5 curriculum. Science and Social Studies are enriched by in-class, hands-on learning experiences and field trips led by partners such as the New England Aquarium, Salem Sound Coastwatch, House of Seven Gables, Peabody Essex Museum, and the Discovery Museum.
Social and Emotional Development
We nurture not only curiosity and intellectual skills, but also healthy social and emotional development. Our Responsive Classroom approach fosters a sense of safety and belonging. Students are greeted by name when they arrive each morning, and engage daily in experiences designed to foster empathy, responsibility and self control. We begin each day with a morning meeting and end with a closing circle.
The Salem State University Partnership
We benefit from a unique and long-standing relationship with Salem State University. Faculty collaborate regularly to design innovative and enriching learning experiences, and our students enjoy access to Salem State facilities, as well as a full year commitment from Student Fellows who teach and collaborate with HMLS teachers all year round.
We strive to become an inclusive and caring community that is committed to dismantling racial and gender inequalities, where all adults and children are respected and appreciated for who they are.